Have you ever been to Charley’s Buffet in Lincoln, Missouri? I had been asked this so many times and decided that I must go check out this place that everyone was talking about. outside of Lincoln, Missouri on a highway that seems to go forever and in the middle of nowhere, you will find Charley’s Buffet. I had heard a rumor that the lines wrap around the building and to expect a wait to be seated. My first thought was WOW! That must be a great experience to draw such a crowd and to stand in line! Le
The drive right now in the Fall is breathtaking with absolutely spectacular scenery with fall leaves and you will see a lot of wildlife on the drive. So be sure to be deer alert! The drive seems to go on forever, but it is so worth it. It is such a hidden gem. Just when you think to yourself, “Where the heck am I?”, you have arrived.
Charley’s was opened in 1998 by Charley and Evonne Peaster and most recently their daughters, Launa and Tracy have taken over the day to day activities at the restaurant. The restaurant is only open on Friday and Saturday nights from 4:30pm to 8:30pm. To get ready for each week the girls start Monday with grocery shopping and Tuesday gets underway with the food prep in the kitchen for the weekend traffic. When I was doing the interview in the kitchen while they were prepping, I experienced the care and the love that put into the food to make the experience the best for everyone.
The restaurant is a rustic setting that features 3 center buffet tables and a dessert bar that literally has more than 50 choices and spans one wall. Everything is homemade and I haven’t found one thing on the buffet that I didn’t like. Some of my favorites
The ultimate favorite, are the rolls. These are the best rolls I have ever tasted and such a treat. They feature on the buffet, plain and cinnamon rolls. I really have to ration out what I eat so that I have room for the cinnamon roll, which to me is just the same as dessert. The girls have graciously let us put the recipe so that you can also try them at home. Of course, I would suggest to get a genuine full experience you need to take a trip to Charley’s Buffet in Lincoln.
Charley’s Buffet Dinner Rolls
- 2 Pkg Instant Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 1/2 Cup Melted Margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Milk, heated
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Salt
- 7 Cups Bread Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tbl. Milk
- Dissolve yeast in water with 1 tsp of sugar; set aside 10 minutes
- Melt margarine and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat; set aside to cool while yeast is resting.
- When yeast is ready, add milk, sugar, salt and flour – do not overwork dough.
- Let rise until doubled; punch down. Let rise again.
- Roll out dough and sprinkle with milk, cinnamon and sugar mixture or leave this step out for plain rolls. Cut into triangles and then roll triangles into crescent or shape to your preference.
- Let formed roll rise in a warm place.
- Bake at 400˚ for 10 minutes or until golden color.
Have you taken a trip to Charley’s Buffet? Comment below your favorite item on the buffet!